SCT-07-011-A PERMISSION OF INNER AND COASTAL NAVIGATION TO FOREIGN SHIPS.
Obtaining a navigation permit in Mexico for a vessel of foreign ownership and class, can be complicated and requires meticulous attention to detail and high quality document control. It is supported in Mexican navigation law, as long as the ship complies with all requirements. Once you have all the necessary documentation, which invariably includes certain documentation being translated into Spanish and certified by an acredited legal translator, the process from the application to the certificate being ratified is 10 working days.
The marine authorities are obliged to state their observations, if any, within 4-5 working days after the application is made.
The navigation permissions are made for periods of three months, but may only be valid for the time stated in the work scope of the service contract. Extensions must be sought in advance with official contract extension documentation from client.
Mexican crew members are a standard requirement on Navigation Permits including an OPB – Official security Officer. The amount of Mexican crew required can vary, per application, but an OPB is a standard fixture. JVV Logistics, can provide fully documented OPBs when required to fulfill permit conditions
JVV Logistics can manage these applications with efficiency and just enough of the required tenacity, to make sure that the permit is issued on time. We have key personnel based in Mexico City to help us process permissions and visas on site, while we provide guidance, document control and officially approved and apostilled legal translations.
A POA must be granted, sealed by the company and apostilled before we can act in your name.
For your information we list the basic info below. You can also download a copy of the application form and see an example certificate to your left.
WHERE TO SUBMIT AN APPLICATION
Secretaría de Comunicaciones y Transportes
Dirección General de Marina Mercante
Nuevo León 210, 7° piso
CP 06100, México, Distrito Federal
HOURS OF ATTENTION TO PUBLIC
8:30 to 14:30 Monday to Friday
- Name, number, flag, port of registry.
- Shipbuilder or proprietor. (ownership must provable in documentation, including proof of purchase /long term charter (commercial invoice), as well as proving that the company who effectively ‘owns’ the vessel, is indeed a licenced shipowner, i.e. the company has the objective of owning/managing vessels stated in their company incorporations)
- Gross and net capacity registered, length, prop, sleeve, openwork maximum, deathweight, place of building, year of building, sort key agency and class.
- Authorized passengers, number of warehouses and tanks, type of ship
In case of tugboat:
- Power of the machine
- Bollard pull
In case the cargo vessel is not of high speed:
- Maximum velocity
- Calculation of speed
- Date of beginning and end of the service to be undertaken
- Type of load
- Type of service and Number of trips
- Ports of operation
- Number of crew
- Date of beginning and end of the chartering contract
- Date of beginning and end of the service contract
- Protection and indemnification Insurance (PANDI): Date of beginning and end
- Number of registry number of the applicant in the Marine National Public Registry
- Company which will be served
DOCUMENTATION TO PRESENT:
In case of expedition (Note 2)
- Contract of service, copy
- Effective and readable copies of certificates of security, applicable to the ship and the service that it renders.
- Contract of charter in spanish language, or translation of it by qualified translator
- Copy of all insurances that cover any wrecks, damages to marine facilities, sea pollution, etc. (PANDI)
- Certificate of registry in the origin country
- Likely crew list indicating nationality and general data (Note 3)
In case of fishing ship:
- Permission of fishing sent by the SAGARPA.
In case of passengers ship (12 passengers or more including the crew.) of any TRB; oil tankers, chemistries, gas, bulkers and of load of high speed, of UAB., equal or superior to 500 tons.
- Copy of the certificate of management of security (CMS) of the ship.
- Demonstrative document of fulfillment (DF) of the shipping company.
In case that the load boat is not of high speed
- Calculation of speed, according to Rule 1 of Chapter X/1, 2 of the SOLAS Agreement.
In case of extensions: (Note 4)
- Updated copy of expired certificates, contracts or insurance documents which have becom invalid during the course of the permits duration.
- Updated crew list indicating: inationality and general positions (Note 3)
TIME OF RESPONSE
10 WORK DAYS
DGMM. Department of Marine Traffic
To authorize that foreign boats travel in national waters, to review services of coastal navigation, previous verification that the conditions of security and prevention of pollution according to the national laws and regulations were fulfilled; as well as with the international treaties ratified by the Mexican Government.
Permission: in case of refusal, an official document indicating the cause of the non-approved permission.
(According to the application, not exceeding 90 natural days)
(Started on June 30th 2007)
Permission of inner and coastal navigation to foreign ships
(Expedition and renovation)
Up to 500
From 500.01 to 1,000
From 1,001.01 to 5,000
From 5,000.01 to 15,000
15,001.01 and more
Expedition of special permission for traffic of passengers from 2 GRT or more.
SOURCES (Mexican Laws):
RLN 79, 80, 81 y 82
- When the navigation permission is sent for the accomplishment of works in navigable routes (installation of cables or submarine ducts, installation and operation of naval devices or other structures) it will be presented in parallel with the authorization of the security dispositions, with the corresponding authorities.
- If the expedition is made of an authorized ship with the shipping company in a shorter period to a year, single it will have to appear the documents that have lost their use.
- In fulfillment with the reforms to the law of Navigation (26/05/00) it is required that the boat employs Mexican crewmembers.
- The delivery of the permission will take place to the person indicated in the request (representing or legal proxy properly credited), since it will have to sign of conformity in itself.
- In order to obtain in time the corresponding authorization, the opportune presentation of the requests is recommended, having considered that the term of answer is of 10 days.
- In case that the boat does not observe some rule of the international regulation, it will have to present the certificate of corresponding exemption.
- The ports indicated are those that will be authorized; any addition or modification will require a new proceeding.